Meaning: Elena is a cognate of Helen, the English form of Helene, a name of uncertain etymology though it could be related to Greek helene meaning “torch” or “corposant”, though it might also be linked to selene meaning “moon”.
Elena is also a variant transcription of Yelena, which is the Russian form of Helen.
- Elene (Georgian)
- Helen (Greek, English, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish)
- Helena (German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, Portuguese, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Finnish, Estonian, Slovene, Croatian, English)
- Helene (English, German, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish)
- Elin (Scandinavian, Welsh, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish)
- Elina (Finnish, Swedish)
- Ileana (Romanian, Spanish, Italian)
- Yelena (Russian)
- Eleni (Modern Greek)
- Elaine (Old French form of Helen)