Meaning: Veronica is the Latin transliteration of Berenice, itself the Latinized form of Macedonian Berenike from Greek Pherenike meaning “bringing victory” or “bringer of victory” from Greek elements pheros (to bring) and nike (victory).
However, the name has also been associated with Latin vera iconica meaning “true image” in reference to Saint Veronica who apparently wiped Jesus’s face with the towel and whose image was imprinted upon it. It was known as the Veil of Veronica.
Nicknames: Vero, Vera, Ronnie/Ronny, Nica/Nika,
- Veronika (Russian, Czech, Slovak, German, Hungarian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Croatian, Macedonian, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Lithuanian, Latvian)
- Véronique (French)
- Weronika (Polish, Sorbian)
- Verônika (Portuguese)
- Verónica (Spanish)
- Bérénice (French)
- Berenice (English, Italian, Ancient Greek)
- Berenike (Ancient Macedonian)
- Pherenike (Ancient Greek)
- Bernice (English)
- Berniece (English)
- Bernike (Greek)