Shoji is a Japanese male name with a variety of meanings depending on the kanji used:
- “correct; justice; righteous; a number of 1040+ reign; be at peace; calm down; subdue; quell; govt; cure; heal; rule; conserve” (正治);
- “prosperous; bright; clear + two” (昌二);
- “shining; bright + two” (昭二);
- “level + director; official; govt office; rule; administer” (庄司);
- “auspicious; happiness; blessedness; good omen; good fortune + reign; be at peace; calm down; subdue; quell; govt; cure; heal; rule; conserve” (祥治);
- “victory; fast + you; thou; second person” (捷爾);
- “badge; chapter; composition; poem; design + two” (章二);
- “beckon; invite; summon; engage + two” (招二);
- “leader; commander; general; admiral; or; and again; soon; from now on; just about + director; official; govt office; rule; administer” (将司).
Shoji also refers to a sliding door made of translucent paper over a frame of wood as well as also referring to a Japanese era spanning April 1199 through February 1202.
Written in hiragana it’s しょうじ (Shōji).