Tora is the modern form of Þóra, a feminine form of Thor meaning “thunder” derived from Old Norse Þór (thunder).
Tora 虎 is also a Japanese word and unisex name meaning “tiger” though there are other meanings depending on the kanji used:
- to 登 “ascend; climb up” + ra 良 “good; pleasing; skilled” (登良);
- to 斗 “Big Dipper” + ra 羅 “gauze; thin silk; Rome” (斗羅)
There are likely other meanings depending on the kanji used. Written in hiragana it’s とら. Tora is also a surname.
Origin: Proto-Indo-European, Japanese
- Thora (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, German)
- Þóra (Ancient Scandinavian, Icelandic)
- Torø (Norwegian)
- Thor (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English)
- Tor (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish)